Tuesday, May 31, 2011

De Funny Yak

Panama City to DeFuniak Springs, FL 66.5 miles

Today I rode with Melanie to the East Baptist Church in DeFuniak Springs, FL.  We started out great, singing every Beatles song along the route.  Mel amazingly knows just about everyone.  As the day went on we began encoutering hills again.  And not the nice kind where you can see the top either.  They were sneaky curvy hills where you never knew exactly how much further you had to go.  I have kind of a love-hate-really hate relationship with hills. I love going down them, I hate going up them and I really hate knowing that everytime I go down one, it means I have another one to go back up eventually.  We pushed, getting closer and closer to DeFuniak.  We pulled up to a gas station in a tiny town but it was closed after 12pm. At the next gas station I had an interesting conversation with some of the patrons, then we waited for a train to pass before crossing the tracks to get to the church.  We had our second hose shower, which is surprisingly refresting.  I air dried on a rocking chair on the pastors front porch which is attached to the church.  We had our first in-house affordable housing presentation. Josh A and Christine S did a great game about the basics of the affordable housing crisis.  The church was hosting their annual dessert contest, so we had lots of fried chicken and many wonderful desserts.  We got to vote for our favorite.  We were entertained by a performer from the West Baptist Church for a while.  Everyone went to sleep pretty quickly after that as we were all very tired from the climbs. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly,
    Glad you are having good days on the bike. The hills will become easier too - especially when you hit some mountains:) can't wait until June.
    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reading and hoping for a picture of a real "yak" I was wondering why they would have them along the road in Florida!! I actually had to read the post twice (I couldn't find the yak) and then I got it...it is early:-)

    ReplyDelete