Friday, May 20, 2011

Into the great beyond

I absolutely wish I could put pictures on this blog. But that shall have to wait until I can get to a real computer, not just my iPod :)

Also, before you get too far into this, I have to confess that I have a problem. I accidentLly published this post too early, but I can't go back and edit the end, only the beginning. Which is why this shall now be split into two separate posts :(

First off, I need to send a ginormous thank you to Sarah, Josh, and St. Clair from Beaches Habitat for Humanity. Today was our first build day and it has set a high bar for those to follow. Beaches has purchased one acre of land and has managed to fit five duplexs on it. As the Beaches are is, well, near the beach, property costs are at a premium and they work hard to use space wisely. The houses are all in various stages of completion, which provides plenty of work for 34 willing young adults. Some groups painted ANC caulked a house that was nearing completion, some took down and repaired scaffolding from a duplex that had just been sided, some moved heavy manly loads of fencing :) my group of 12 did general framing tasks on the least completed duplex. I started the day with Josh A and Jillian pounding nails into the insect repelling greenboards. It was here that I learned the magic of the framing hammer. You can stick the nail in hands free!!! I felt so construction-ee walking Round with my giant framing hammer slamming down nails. Next, Josh, Jillian, and I cut and started putting in backer boards in the upstairs rooms. We broke for lunch, provided by Beaches. They bought us giant trays of food from Subway. It was a good day for all of the vegitarians on the trip. Beaches asked for three sections of sub to be veggie, but the orders got messed up so we got 3 TRAYS of veggie subs :) we also had some of the best peanut butter cookies thT I have had for. Long time! Yum! Then we were surprized with our first bike and build swag: tahirts from beaches! They are blue or grey or gree and say building hope on the front. After lunch we changes jobs around and I ended up framing the second story with Josh A, Noelle, and Steph. We worked with St. Clair, a habitat volunter, to put up 3 walls over the course of two hours. I had a blast working with Beahes habitat!

No comments:

Post a Comment